[RC5] rc5-64 vs. v3

Sebastian Vuorinen ssvuori at ibm.net
Sun Nov 30 18:55:56 EST 1997

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997 20:49:25 -0800, L. M. Nonog wrote:

>Someone else mentioned (sorry I deleted your post, and can't remember
>your name)  that he does this for the satisfaction of participating.
>Not necessarily for any reward.  (okay, I'm paraphrasing several posts)

You can't really expect ever to be monetarily rewarded in this project.
There are only two rewards. The sense of participating and belongin
to a community and that of accomplishment when results are achieved.

This is after all a collaborate effort, so every participant does affect the
result (at least by eliminating wrong answers). In fact I claim that nobody
is participating just for the money. Money works as an additional motive
for those that might otherwise hesitate but nothing more. The truth as I
see it, is that my computer does not use it's full computingpower even
when I am using it. Those idle hours don't really belong to me or anyone
else since they are not needed.
...So why not donate them to something even remotely useful :-)

>It would be nice if when the time came we had SETI as one of our
>choices of projects.
>Unless rc5 only does one at a time.....

I do believe that there will be multiple projects in the future, run side
by side, alone for the fact that they go into such different areas of
interests. That's how I've understood distributed.nets plans for the
future. But then again... What do I know ?-)

>I'm new to this project, and as such I do not know all the rules.

That statement is accurate in my case too.

Sebastian

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net