[rc5] OT: PGP mailer

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Wed Oct 1 00:02:46 EDT 1997

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Glen Mcbride wrote:

> For example:
> I set up a mail box called "glen at somewhere.net" which is hosted by the very nice people at the mythical location called somewhere.net
> I send the somewhere.net server my personal PGP public key
> I tell everyone my email address is "glen at somewhere.net"
>
> The somewhere.net machine automagically remails my inbound email to my PGP encrypted!

This defeats the purpose of encrypting the message.  If the message is
sent from the writer to the remailer unencrypted, then it's already been
"exposed", so encrypting it for the second half of its journey would
serve no purpose.

The point of PGP (at least the privacy part, as opposed to the
authentication part) is end-to-end privacy.  From the time it leaves
the writer's computer to the time you decrypt it, nobody can read it.

-------                   wooledge at kellnet.com                     -------
---              http://kellnet.com/wooledge/main.html                 ---