[rc5] Bunda?

Rik Ling rling at pipcom.com
Thu Oct 2 11:56:55 EDT 1997

----------
> From: Paul Leskinen <paul at csfi.com>
> To: rc5 at llamas.net
> Subject: Re: [rc5] Bunda?
> Date: Thursday, October 02, 1997 10:42 AM
>

> > On Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:12:23 -0400, Rik Ling wrote:
> >
> > >Hmmm.  Is everybody else here thinking the same thing that I am?  How
> > >difficult could it be to write a program that requests blocks from our
> > >server, stores them, and then falsely reports them as complete---in
> > >essence, stealing blocks from Bovine in order to use them in another
> > >cracking effort somewhere else.
> >
> > Could this be how Infantile Monkeys is managing their claim of not
> duplicating effort?
> >
> > Skip Huffman
> >

> Actually, if I were Spanking Monkeys, I could request blocks from Bovine,
> check 'em, and report back to my Monky Business server but NOT back to
> Bovine.  If I reported back to Bovine, I'd be doing real work for the
> Bovine effort!  The only reason to report back to Bovine would be to try
> and report the correct block as checked--thus making it nearly impossible
> for Bovine to find the correct block.  This is unlikely--but possible.

Exactly!  Don't actually check the blocks right away, just make sure that
we (Bovine) think that the blocks have been checked--that way they never
get recycled.  Then go ahead and check them yourself at your leisure.  If
one of them is THE BLOCK, then bingo.  you win the $10,000 and Bovine gets
nothing.  Sneaky, yes?

Later

Rik Ling
rling at pipcom.com
---
It's a mad, mad world.  Only the fully sane are truly crazy.
Distributed.Net : Online Pirhanas of the Internet
Come run with the pack --> http://rc5.distributed.net