[rc5] Re: Trouble with Bovine RC5 client networking through proxy

Frederick W. Wheeler wheeler at ipl.rpi.edu
Thu Oct 2 12:33:31 EDT 1997

Rc5 Helpline:

Thanks for your quick response.

Rc5 Helpline said:
> O.kay.. apparently it seems that the proxy you've been assigned to have
> been suffering from some downtime. You can keep on trying, or you can just
> continue running on rc5.slacker.com which is slightly risky since if
> slacker.com goes down, you're gonna have some problems :-)

I'm not sure what you mean by "proxy" above.  Do you mean my local
proxy for HTTP and Netscape, or do you mean a Keyserver proxy?
Perhaps this could be cleared up in the FAQ.

If you mean a Keyserver proxy, I think that my client is attempting to
connect to many different Keyserver proxys.  I just stopped it and
tried to "update".  The output is below.  Not all of these hosts could
be down.

If I see the "The proxy says: ..." message, what does that tell me
about my network connectivity?  What do these error codes mean:
  Network::Error Read failed 6/0
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
Could this be in the FAQ?

Sometimes, just before the above error message I get one or more ">"
characters on the output.  Is this a clue?

Are others using the HTTP proxy network connection successfully?

Thanks,
Fred Wheeler

  % rc5v2 -update

  RC5 v2.004 client - a project of distributed.net
  Copyright distributed.net 1997
  Visit http://www.distributed.net/ for more information

  The proxy says: "And Now For something completely different (alpaca.llamas.net)"
  Network::Error Read failed 6/0
  The proxy says: "Bovine Proxy KeyServer (Build 2127)"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "The cows are invading!  www.bovine.net"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "Welcome to my nightmare. (x162-50.chem.umn.edu)"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "UNIX forever! (rc5unix.wwiv.org)"
  >Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "Welcome to my nightmare. (x162-50.chem.umn.edu)"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "And Now For something completely different (alpaca.llamas.net)"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "rc5proxy.llamas.net Cuidado esta llamas"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "And Now For something completely different (alpaca.llamas.net)"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "Welcome to rc5.best.net.  Happy cracking!"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "Welcome to my nightmare. (x162-50.chem.umn.edu)"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "Welcome to my nightmare. (x162-50.chem.umn.edu)"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  The proxy says: "The cows are invading!  www.bovine.net"
  Network::Error Read Failed 27/0
  Network::Error Read failed 23/0

  An error occured trying to update the files out.
  Please try again later
  %