[rc5] RC5-64?

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Oct 3 16:02:11 EDT 1997

     A thing I said in this message was just not true.  My memory had
     failed me and had mutated a pointer to Merkle-Hellman Knapsack
     public-key encryption into a pointer to DES.  A follow-up request by
     David Jones led me to check this erroneous claim.
     A reference to *correct* version of my claim is

     Schneier, Bruce, "Applied Cryptography, 2nd ed." is
     p. 465, Security of Knapsacks
     which refers to

     W. Diffee, "The First Ten Years of Public-Key Cryptography,"
     _Proceedings of the IEEE_, v. 76, n. 5, May 1988, pp. 560-577. and
     W. Diffee, "The First Ten Years of Public-Key Cryptography," in
     _Contemporary Cryptology: The Science of Information Integrity, G.J.
     Simmons, ed., IEEE Press, 1992, pp. 135-175.

     The attack was against Merkle-Hellamn Knapsack public-key encryption.
     The transformation of a superincreasing knapsack instance into a
     normal instance was attacked to allow a reverse transformation.  The
     attack could be carried out on an Apple ][ fast enough to demonstrate
     at the conference where Shamir and Zippel demonstrated the method.

     I apologize to the list for the previous misinformation.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu