[rc5] Offence under US code Title 47, Sec 227(b) (1) (C)

Christian Holmqvist pt95cho at student.hk-r.se
Mon Oct 6 01:48:08 EDT 1997

At 17:03 1997-10-05 -0500, you wrote:
I'm new in this list so excuse me for asking. Is this what normally is
talked about on this list? I was hoping for a debatt about RC5 and not some
stupied US Law!

>At 02:50 PM 10/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>attached herewith.  Junk Mail is now regarded as the same as unwanted
>>and unsolicited junk faxes and telemarketing calls - all of which are
>>now ILLEGAL under US federal law:
>>
>>     By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
>>     meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)
>>     (1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to
>>     such equipment, punishable by action to recover actual monetary
>>     loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for EACH violation.
>
>Erm, I'd check with an attorney first. I did, and he said that e-mail did
>not fall under 47 USC 227.
>--
>Joe Eversole (jeversol at mcsc.k12.in.us) (Gamma at IRC)
>Mooresville Consolidated School Corporation
>(317) 831-9203 Ext. 125 -- Fax: (317) 831-9206
>----
in the body.

-----
Christian Holmqvist
Phone 0457-66079

Software engineer student at  University of Karlskrona-Ronneby,
V.Ordf RISC
Institution committee of  IDE
Irc-Nick: ACROO typ....

***
You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit
and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. -Harvey Diamond
***