[rc5] Netware/IntraNetware client?

Steve Trottier STROTTIER at novell.com
Tue Oct 7 09:59:30 EDT 1997

FWIW, NetWare/IntraNetWare servers are perfectly capable of running TCP/IP.
There is even a Winsock.NLM that other NLMs can make use of so I don't see
why you'd need to re-do any part of the client.  Screen output (text based)
is as simple as a printf. It wouldn't be too difficult to port the plain
command-line client to an NLM.  In fact, I volunteered to do so a few months
ago, and followed through with the offer several more times, but was never
given source code.  Now school has started again and I'm too busy.

Steve Trottier <strottier at novell.com>
PGP encrypted email welcome. Get my public key (5.0) at:
http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x7BFB9BA8

At 09:17 AM 10/7/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Does anybody know if work is done to develop a Novell IntraNetware
>rc5-client? I have a lot of such machines here, with good CPU'S, that are
>only used 1-2% for the work. The rest could be used for RC5...

Thus saith the FAQ (http://rc5.distributed.net/FAQ/rc5faq.html):

How about an NLM for my NetWare servers?

This idea has been tossed around, but the general opinion has always been
that those sites who have NetWare servers are not comfortable enough to
donate their servers as testing platforms. By the same token, we don't find
many unix shops running rc5 on their DNS name servers either. :)

In theory, it's certainly possible, but porting the client would be a royal
pain. Even simple screen I/O as an NLM is a laborious task and the
networking code would have to be completely rewritten, and we'd probably
need to teach the client about IPX, which basically means that we would
need to also code an IPX-->IP proxy. All this for NLM code that everyone we
asked would be "reluctant" to run on their production servers. If you want
to give it a shot, more power to you, the coding team will be as helpful as
possible, but we've all decided that the benefits do not outweigh the
difficulties involved.

-/\/ugget
the body.