[rc5] Ramdrive & win95

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Tue Oct 7 22:25:44 EDT 1997

> >I run off a UPS, and power my monitor off.  Most I could loose
> >is about 8-10 hours worth of key crunching. After 10 min, the
> >HDD's spin down, so I am only running the PS fan and CPU fan.
>
> You make it sound like the fans use up all the power!  *grin*  Actually,
> the CPU fan and power supply fan use about 1.5W total!  Also, the hard
> drive uses a fraction of the power that the CPU uses, so a RAM drive
> doesn't save a huge amount of power.  I'll bet the UPS wastes more power
> than the hard drive uses.
>
> - Sanford

Personally, the biggest thing I'd worry about is the time I'd waste trying
to get the ram drive setup and make sure that it works properly. <g>  I'm
sure my UPS also wastes more power than my harddrive does, so I don't worry
about the power-down feature.  Of course, two each his own; if my current
harddrive was as noisy and obnoxious as some of the past ones I've owned, I
probably would want to have it shut down also...

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com