[rc5] Re: OS/2 ramdisk and spindown

Stuart Caulkins stuartc at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 8 01:10:09 EDT 1997

Sanford Olson wrote:

> At 10:15 AM 10/8/97 +1300, you wrote:
> >> Why is it such a big deal to be able to turn off your harddrive? Actually,
> >> continually turning it off and then back on again is not good for it, just
> >> let it be. :)
> >
> >Oh yeah, those specs list start/stops at 40,000.
> >So 40000/(365*5year service life=1825)=22 spindowns and up per day
> >allowed.
>
> Not to mention that the 1,000,000 hour MTBF (Seagate Barracuda 4.55GB)
> means that your hard drive will probably out-live your grandchildren!  *grin*
>
> - Sanford
> ----

MTBF means that if all the drives of that model were running at the same time, and the
total time they were running were added to each other  they would run for X hours
combined!!!  before one of them failed. Your drive could fail in one hour or a million
hours and still the rating overall could be 1,000,000 MTBF. MTBF does not mean that your
drive will run that long, or is supposed to run that long. My experience is that if your
drive survives the first week you have five calendar years of hard drive use. Anything
over four and you are taking chances on an imminent crash. Lets face it computers are
wasteful, electricity is wasteful, and modern society is wasteful, but so is anything fun.
If your really serious about saving electricity go live in the Unabomber's shack, its
empty and free, I suspect; and drive yourself nuts recycling, you might even save one
whole pine tree planted in a million acre paper plantation, or save Alcoa some money by
recycling a can  (and putting a third world bauxite miner out of work).  Crack codes and
consume all the energy and resources you want to pay for, if you let the government or
industry persuade you otherwise you are participating in the government and corporate
engineered death of the free market.