[rc5] Re: OS/2 ramdisk and spindown

Joe Klein jklein at mail.il-icom.net
Wed Oct 8 01:42:36 EDT 1997

At 11:36 PM 10/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 10:15 AM 10/8/97 +1300, you wrote:
>>> Why is it such a big deal to be able to turn off your harddrive? Actually,
>>> continually turning it off and then back on again is not good for it, just
>>> let it be. :)
>>
>>Oh yeah, those specs list start/stops at 40,000.
>>So 40000/(365*5year service life=1825)=22 spindowns and up per day
>>allowed.

Well... let me think, if you have your harddrive set to turn off after 10
min, which by the sound of some of the people on this group, I wouldn't be
surprised if they have it shutdown after 2 min, 22 cycles wouldn't be all
that hard to accomplish...

>Not to mention that the 1,000,000 hour MTBF (Seagate Barracuda 4.55GB)
>means that your hard drive will probably out-live your grandchildren!  *grin*

Well, that is all statistics... and the same statistic, I am sure, can be
construed in such a way to also say something else that contradicts the
first statement... :) That is the way of statistics.