[rc5] GUIWIN32 clogging my CPU

Jo Hermans Jo.Hermans at vub.ac.be
Wed Oct 8 20:00:43 EDT 1997

Greg Childers wrote:

> Yes, that's the point.  80 to 90% of your CPU is idle.  GUIWIN32 uses those
> cycles.  If, however, you start a program that uses those cycles, GUIWIN32
> will yield them and only use the very small number of idle cycles.
>
> Greg

I'm running Bovine on a lot of different systems (NT, Mac, Solaris, SGI,
Linux, ... my team is called jo at dinf.vub.ac.be), but NT is the operating
system where it causes no problems at all (when running as a service).
I'm running it on EVERY NT machine I can find, even file-servers,
webservers, demo-machines or game-machines ! There's absolutely no
reason to stop the service, not even when you want to play a game.
Bovine will just use any remaining idle-time which is left in the
system. Maybe you will loose a few percentages of your performance
(minimum seems to be 2 to 5%), but I haven't found any user who
complains about it. Most don't even know about it's existence ! I even
managed to install and start the service on their machines, without
their noticing. I didn't ask their permission either ;p (I'm the
sysadmin ofcourse).

I agree it can be scary when you look at the task manager and you see
that your CPU is running 100% of the time, and there is no idle time at
all.

Ofcourse, this doesn't seem to be the same experience for that gentleman
who compleined about interference with his Java garbage collection
thread.

--
Jo Hermans
System Manager WFS, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium