[rc5] rc5 nicness

Haberlach, Adam HaberlaA at testlab.orst.edu
Wed Oct 8 13:23:45 EDT 1997

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Christian Holmqvist [SMTP:pt95cho at student.hk-r.se]
Sent:	Wednesday, October 08, 1997 9:33 AM
To:	rc5 at llamas.net
Subject:	[rc5] rc5 nicness

>I have a problem with running the rc5 client (on a NT4.0
computer) when I'm
>developing in Java.

Developing in, or using programs written in?

>The java garbage collection is set to run on system idle time
and if I have
>a rc5 client there is no system idle time so the garbage
collection is
>never executed. Is there any way around this. The only way
around this is
>that the rc5 client have to fake the system idle event.

>This will also occure when a MFC system runns and tries to
handle the
>garbage collection. (When ever a object is created in
::FromHandle)

>I consider this to be a major bug / problem and have to be
fixed as soon as
>possible!!!!

	Option A.  Call Microsoft.  Tell them that Microsoft's
implementation of Java is broken, in that it is possible to
keep garbage collection from ever running.  They will not
respond, but will include "AutoGarbageCollection(TM)" as one of
the features in the next service pack for the Java VM.

	Option B.  Call Sun.  Tell them that Java is broken.  Explain
that although automatic garbage collection is nice, there are
ways to break it, especially on Microsoft's VM.  They will talk
to Microsoft and demand that they stop using Java alltogether.
They may even file suit!  :)

	Option C.  Check the Java reference.  Find that there is a
function to call that will cause garbage collection to happen.
It is called System.gc  Use it.  Revel in the fact that other
people's code will eat memory and never give it back while
yours will work smoothly.  Consider it a feature and charge
extra money for it.  Share the extra money with me.

- ---
Adam Haberlach      haberlaa at ucs.orst.edu