[rc5] Unsolicited email

Brian B. Burton brian at burtons.com
Wed Oct 8 17:03:37 EDT 1997

Aren't you clever!
Did it ever occure to you that they use fake return mail addresses, so all
you do is inconvenience Internet system admins with your junk mail caught in
the system?  So what's the big point - if you inconvienience their ISP, they
will kick the spammer off, right? WRONG. Most spammers "bounce" their email
off of innocent third party mail machines, using fake return addresses to
make it harder to track.
In my case, I run a mail server. Some idiot using UUnet is systematically
using my mail server to bounce spam to AOL. this will cause AOL to ban me
and all of the other legitimate users of my system from sending mail to
existing friends and clients on AOL.
The idiot doing the spamming is using fake adress from hot mail to make them
look bad. something like somebody@@hotmail.com. You'll notice the 2 "at"
signs. This causes the spam reciepient who is now pissed to reply to the
spammer, only the spammer doesn't exist (the hotmail address changes for
every 15 pieces of email) and the double at signs cause the reply to be
bounced to the mail server it came from (mine). The net result is that I got
about 10 pieces of VERY nasty mail for something I or any of my legitimate
users DIDN'T DO!
I've since had to auto delete ALL outgoing mail to AOL, while I close the
door in the spammers face.
So why don't I call UUnet and complain? I did. Their reply is that they will
look into it. They probably have 250-300 dialup lines in Kansas City Mo, so
the chance of them finding this guy???
So the next time you get junk mail, please realize just how untraceable the
person mailing it made themselves.

The Great BrianB

Protect your right to own and arm bears.