[rc5] Something clogging your CPU ;-)

Harald Meyer haraldme at metronet.de
Wed Oct 8 23:07:05 EDT 1997

Jan Stanger wrote
> GUIWIN32.EXE is taking up about 80 to 90% CPU on my Windows 95 machine.
> That's ridiculous!

Daniel Baker wrote
> On my UNIX machines, it uses about 86% of the CPU when it's basically
> idle....

Hmmm..., on my linuxbox (a P133) it gets some 99.4% if I don't touch it. :-)

If the bovine client gets 80 to 90% on an idle machine, that means some
process(es) use 10 to 20% without doing anything useful.
On UNIX (at least Linux) "top" seems to use a lot of cycles, especially running
in Xterm and putting load on the X server. On W95 I've seen system monitors
using up to 15% for their own purposes. Think twice if you really need them.

If my machine is idle, the only "active" user processes are:

top, running in a rxvt, updating every 30 sec.
xload, updating every 10 sec.
TkDesk, updating every 5 sec, a
"tail -f nohup.out" doing whatever it wants and
Netscape sometimes wants the CPU, don't know why.

-Harald