[rc5] rc5 nicness

Christian Holmqvist pt95cho at student.hk-r.se
Thu Oct 9 11:29:23 EDT 1997

At 18:09 1997-10-09 +1200, you wrote:
>On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 22:37:53 -0400 (EDT), TwinTowers || wrote:
>
>>I think the point is, the GC has been designed to run or work only when
>>the system is idle. So no matter how high its priority, it won't do any
>>work as long as RC5 is taking up all the CPU time.
>But how does it know when the system is idle?
>Monitor disk I/O, memory I/O, CPU temperature, K/B activity? i expect
>not.

The GC knows that there is SysIdle time when the System Idle process is
sending out system idle event. The idéa is to let RC5 client fake the
SysIdle process so the system still thinks it got system idle time even
though it hasn't.

-----
Christian Holmqvist
Phone 0457-66079

Software engineer student at  University of Karlskrona-Ronneby,
V.Ordf RISC
Institution committee of  IDE
Irc-Nick: ACROO typ....

***
You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit
and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. -Harvey Diamond
***