[rc5] rc5 nicness

Tim Lacy timla at oz.net
Thu Oct 9 21:36:12 EDT 1997

OK, I'm an NT user.  Get the resource kit (or write your own sleep.exe, or run the scheduler and fire the script off occasionally)

SLEEP version: (GCPause.cmd)
:start
net pause servicename
sleep 30
net continue servicename
sleep 300
goto start

This will pause a service for 30 seconds every five minutes.
This can be done via the scheduler (at.exe), which is a better method if you only want to pause once or twice per day, and pause for more than a minute.

at version:
at 0800 /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su "cmd /c ATGC.CMD"

ATGC.CMD:
net pause servicename
sleep 60
net continue servicename

... then there's KILL.EXE (from the resource kit) for the gui version:

kill guiwin32.exe

... if you don't use the /f option with kill.exe, guiwin32.exe should halt itself cleanly...

-T