[rc5] RE: rc5-digest V1 #154

Thompson, Christopher CThompson at suncor.com
Fri Oct 10 09:25:38 EDT 1997

>Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 00:54:36 +0200 (MET DST)
>From: Ivo Janssen <ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] Security, Java, and Source
>
>On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, David M. Putzolu wrote:
>
>> * A certain number of people, Z, will not run native code due
>>   to security risks. Some of these people might be willing to
>>   run Java code.

>> So, why not use Java?
>It has been done? (in C).

Unless I look through the source code in C, I cannot be convinced that
the program isn't trying to do something nefarious.  With Java code for
the networking, I know that this is not the case.

While I, myself, am happy to run binaries from distributed.net, this is
not true of everyone.  Some people will not run outside binaries.  Some
other people do not have the time to look through C code for a project
such as this to make sure nothing sneaky is going on.  These people may
be satisfied with Java for the networking.

I think David is right, there is a non-zero number of people who would
run the Java client who wouldn't run the C client.