[rc5] Security, Java, and Source

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Oct 10 11:04:12 EDT 1997

     Although the networking code has been implemented once in C, there are
     several problems with your points.

     First, select() is not universal across all platforms/compilers.  It's
     not Standard C.  It's a POSIX invention.  Socket and thread libs tend
     to have the same platform specific problems.  So, one has to port to
     all of the idiosyncracies on each target compiler/platform.  Java
     would make all of this code *exactly* the same on every platform.
     Second, GUI code is even more platform specific than the first
     collection of items.  Although there are two GUI programming targets
     in Java now, that number is much smaller than the number of platforms
     with non-compatible GUI interfaces.  Finally, there have been several
     complaints about the reliability of the connection process used by the
     clients.  Java networking appears considerably more robust.

     The comment isn't that it hasn't been done, it's that porting that
     stuff to each new platform is time-intensive.  This time would be
     better spent addressing the requested client improvements, not on
     fixing another micro-difference between this and that thread library.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu