[rc5] wekly( or so) stats comparison - Bovine - Cyberian - Infinite Monkeys

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Sun Oct 12 16:20:15 EDT 1997

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Dave Avery wrote:
> Expected time to completion:   45 days
>   (There is a 50% chance some group will find the winning key sooner,
>     and a 50% chance it will be found later.)
>
> Expected time to 50% of keyspace:   10 days
>   (There is a 50% chance some group will find the winning key sooner,
>     and a 50% chance it will be found later.)

Huha?  What is the difference?  Since the probability for each key is
1/2^56, then (.5*2^56)*1/2^56=.5.  So when half of the keyspace is
completed, there is a 50% chance that The Key will have been hit.

	-=- James Mastros
---
"I'm not saying you should flash your hooters... but it would help."
	-=- Howard Stern