[rc5] wekly( or so) stats comparison - Bovine - Cyberian - Infinite Monkeys

Mon Oct 13 10:54:52 EDT 1997

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 15:20:15 -0400 (EDT), James Mastros wrote:

>Huha?  What is the difference?  Since the probability for each key is
>1/2^56, then (.5*2^56)*1/2^56=.5.  So when half of the keyspace is
>completed, there is a 50% chance that The Key will have been hit.

We can't count any of the keys that we have already checked when calculating probable completion point.  The current keyspace is only 60% the size of the original one, but we still have to predict that completion will come when we have completed 50% of the current keyspace.

Skip Huffman
Carreker-Antinori
Atlanta Office
Quality Group
"A penny saved may be a penny earned, but it's a waste of
 a deposit slip and it really pisses off the tellers."