[RC5-Mac] Re: [rc5] new mac clients

Seth Dillingham seth at snet.net
Wed Oct 15 14:34:21 EDT 1997

G. Armour Van Horn (vanhorn at whidbey.net), on 10/15/1997 11:17 AM, wrote
the following:

>I think this is good news, but it is more than a bit confusing.
>
>I recall seeing an announcement just a few days ago to the effect that
>there would not be *any* final release versions identified as 2.005, and
>that 2.006 would be the release number of the tested product. In other
>words, the version numbers you are announcing are precisely the reverse of
>what I thought was an authoritative statement.
>
>Second, Andrew Meggs made a very loud exit from the RC5 effort, and asked
>us all not to use his code. I disagreed with his request, and like many
>others continued to use code that included his contributions. Did he come
>back? I'm sure it's not, but it sounds fishy to me.
>
>Finally, someone a while back reported that he was mirroring all of the
>clients for download, and it was made quickly clear to him that this was
>forbidden and that only rc5.distributed.net was to distribute the clients
>for this effort. So now you're announcing not one but two clients on
>another site, but these clients aren't on either the official clients page
>or on the ftp site.
>
>In other words, who are you and what's going on here? Did all the rules
>change on a day when I was deleting messages too quickly?

It's true that Andrew Meggs asked everyone not to run his clients, and
that he made an exit from the effort. It's also true, however, that he
has since then written a letter stating that his protest has had all of
the effect that it ever will, and gave a grudging blessing to use the
client again.

Since then, Dan Grassi has had version 2.005b6 of Andrew's client
available on the clones4mac website (http://members.aol.com/clones4mac/).

Andrew may not be an active developer for Bovine RC5 anymore, but he's
still supporting his client and DEFINITELY doesn't have a problem with
anyone running it. That's WHY he just delivered the final version of
2.005, and helped Bob Smith with 2.006 by giving him the code to 2.005
and alpha/beta testing it for him.

As to the rules about client distribution... there's been a version of
the mac client available on the clones4mac site for weeks now, and if
Andrew (and Bob) own the code, how can distributed.net tell them where to
distribute it, and where not to?

I haven't seen anything from distributed.net saying that our distribution
of the mac client is against their rules. I'm not sure I'd like seeing
that (I'm sure I wouldn't), but I'd probably comply as long as they made
the new clients available on their site.

We're not mirroring all of the clients for download, we're just making
the newest version of the mac client available. The latest version hasn't
been available from distributed.net for quite awhile.

As to your last paragraph...

I am the www.distributed-mac.net coordinator, and there't nothing "going
on here" that isn't very clear and on the 'up and up'. If you're
complaining, I'm not sure why; but if you're just curious then I hope
I've answered your questions. Did all the rules change? No, I don't think
so, but I'm not sure that we've broken any either, at least not ones that
distributed.net has shown any care about or which they've even made me
aware of.

Seth Dillingham

              seth at snet.net
http://macrobyte.simplenet.com/sethspeak/