[rc5] OOOh.... new front page

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.net
Wed Oct 15 12:38:23 EDT 1997

At 11:33 AM 10/15/97, Eric Gindrup wrote:
>     HTML-phobe question: Is there a way to set it to the lesser of an
>     absolute width and a percentage?
>            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at Okway.okstate.edu

No, you can set one or the other. Neither is perfect, and in many cases
percentage widths work better, but pixel widths are almost always more
predictable in their effect. Speaking only for myself, I normally would
choose the more predictable path.

Incidentally, the possible failure modes of pixel widths are that it will
require a horizontal scroll bar if the table width is greater than the
browser window (annoying, but at least clear how to deal with it) or extra
margins if the browser width is wider (not a problem at all unless some
truly awful background color is being used). The possible failure modes of
percentage widths are many and much uglier.

Van