[rc5] Re: Mac client

David McNett nugget at slacker.com
Fri Oct 17 16:15:19 EDT 1997

At 09:51 AM 10/17/97 PDT, you wrote:
>Well why is that? Why is distributed.net showing no interest in the
>platform that accounts for a gigantic chunk of the checked keyspace?
>Obviously the Mac client has been divorced from the rest of the codebase
>for some time, but now that I see outdated versions of the client still
>called "new" on the download page and the admin of a 3rd party site
>forced to announce them on the discussion list (instead of announce), I
>really think I have to protest this.

Paul--
In fairness to distributed.net, I think that it is a really large leap to
go from "does not have up-to-the-minute beta code on the ftp site" to
"shows no interest in [the Mac platform]".  There is nothing at all
outdated about the v2.004 MacOS client.  It is still the official client
and the only supported client for the MacOS platform.

All other versions (and this is especially true with the MacOS platform) of
the client are to be considered beta releases and their widespreade
implementation is not recommended at this time.  Not until the official
2.006 release will the current 2.004 code base be "old" or "obsolete".

Sure, we should probably get the beta code on ftp.distributed.net.  I'm
trying to make that happen right now, but lets keep things in perspective
here.  Once we have a real, new version of any client, we will announce it
on rc5-announce.

Until then, these interim beta releases of the code (on *all* platforms)
are for limited release and only to those people who understand that they
are running beta code.

-/\/ugget