[rc5] Re: Clones4Mac Team Listing

David McNett nugget at slacker.com
Fri Oct 17 16:37:18 EDT 1997

At 11:34 AM 10/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I am mad, mad about Bovine's attitude towards our clones4mac at aol.com team.

Dan --

I'm sorry if I came off abrupt earlier today.  It really does concern me
that you are upset over this.  Certainly this miscommunication has nothing
to do with any latent bias towards macs on the part of distributed.net.

What you are unaware of is that we have just recently (Tuesday) had to
"fire" the person who has been handling the rc5help help line.  It had
become more and more apparant that messages were not being dealt with and
replies were not being made.  For this, I sincerely apologize.  Manning the
help line is not a fun task, but we have no excuse for letting message such
as yours go unanswered.

As to the teams listing, that blame falls squarely upon my shoulders.  For
almost a month now, I've been "about to" code the user-maintained teams
listing.  As a result, updating the old, static teams listing was always
put off because the "bigger, better deal" was, of course, right around the
corner.  Unfortunately, it took me a lot longer to come up with the
motivation/time required to actually code the new teams listing and it was,
in fact, just completed earlier this week.  Recently enough that no public
anouncement has been made as to how it works.

It is unfair for me to expect you (and everyone else) to somehow magically
know how that listing was created.  And your assumption, that I typed in
all those teams and at the same time ignored one of the most productive and
helpful teams currently in the stats was (while incorrect) quite
understandable.

For what it's worth, when the teams list first went online it only
contained two entries: Mine and The Apple EvangeListas, so there was
certainly no anti-Mac bias at work.  :)

I apologise for any perceived insult and for the miscommunication that took
place and trust that no permanent damage has been done.

-/\/ugget