[rc5] The contest over? Naaaahhh...

Eric Gindrup gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Oct 21 14:17:09 EDT 1997

        From a raw throughput point of view, this seems unlikely.  However,
     this makes me wonder -- what's the fastest crack available with all
     known theoretical bells and whistles applied?  Surely it's faster than
     brute force.  What's the effort multiplier when the improvements are
     applied?  Would we already be done with RC5-56 if we were using these
     improvements?
        Strictly, this doesn't affect the current effort since a goal was
     to prove that dumb brute force could batter down the encryption (under
     a lot of restrictive assumptions).  I'm just wondering what a
     determined attacker with a library card could do...