[rc5] wrong winning key ?

Jo Hermans Jo.Hermans at vub.ac.be
Thu Oct 23 15:57:38 EDT 1997

David McNett wrote:

> Jo Hermans was heard saying:
> >Sorry, but I noticed that the winning key mentioned in several
> newsitems
> >wasn't correct.
> >
> >The real one (according to my log, and the mails from Nugget) is :
> >0x532B744CC20998
> >
> >The bad one is : 0x532B744CC20999 (last digit is wrong)
>
> Actually, this is the result of an "off-by-one" error in the client.
> We've known about it for quite some time, but since it's an error that
> only happened once, it was not a top priority to fix.  :)  The logfile
> was spit out on success after the key increments (to check the next
> key) instead of before.
>
> 0x532B744CC20999 is *the* key.

DAMN ! My boss just told me that he had the number engraved into
something. That one is off by one too !

Maybe we should tattoo the right key on my forehead ? No ! Peter's
forehead ! His picture is at http://www.starlab.vub.ac.be/staff/peter

> -/\/
>
> ----

Jo Hermans
System Manager WFS, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium

Office: Jo.Hermans at vub.ac.be  +32-2-629.35.19  http://dinf.vub.ac.be/~jo
Home  : jhermans at innet.be     +32-3-226.57.86
http://www.innet.be/~jhermans

Maintains the Antwerp Blues Scene :