[rc5] The prize money....

Stuart Anthony denitto at llamas.net
Thu Oct 23 12:00:30 EDT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Jeff Woods wrote:

> Project Gutenberg is a worthy cause, and deserves the $8,000 that
> distributed.net just donated to them.   However, to get a half million
> users, the "carrot" has to be bigger than a mere thousand bucks.  I think
> the charity has to end.

I can understand this, and, not to pass a rumor around or anything, the,
for lack of a better name, president of Project Gutenberg had mentioned to
someone looking to donate $8000 to the project that he was running out of
pocket until at least thanksgiving.  I think we can't crack these things
fast enough to benefit Project Gutenberg fast enough... :)

But anyways, Yes, at least speaking for myself, and as a Business Admin
major, more money would entice more people in, however, the chances of
winning even that money is now a far cry from the lottery.  56 was 72
quadrillion, 64 is 256 times that.  Hell, the lottery (depending on what
state you're in) is usually 49! or somewhere near 14million to 1.  If the
prize money was more substancial than just $10,000, I think we could get a
huge influx of more people.

I think what makes us stand out is our charitable side.  This could be
used for more leverage overall.

--Pete

The cows are tromping all over America. Cows can replicate. They're
being born all over the world. There's plenty of beef available!
		-- US Representative Zoe Lofgren (D-Ca)