[rc5] The prize money....

Jeff Woods jeff at delta.com
Thu Oct 23 14:18:34 EDT 1997

At 12:43 PM 10/23/97 -0400, you wrote:

>>Adam et al, please consider raising the amount of the prize money given to
>>key finders in future challenges, including RC5-64.
>
>I disagree (so what else is new).  I am very proud that I (with the
>help of a few friends) donated $8000 to Project Gutenberg.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of that fact, too.   My point is that I
believe that in order to draw in the numbers needed to have a realistic
shot at RC5-64, we might have to consider that idea.

I didn't join Bovine over IFM or Cyberian for any reason other than ONE:

Bovine already had the most participants, and stood the greatest chance at
shoving the insecurity of 56-bit encryption in Bill Clinton's face before
he left office.   For me, it had nothing to do with money at all.   But I
think for many, it might...

>Keep giving it to Gutenburg.  They need it.

Perhaps they do.   But we need the higher participation that a higher
payout could generate, in order to stand even a reasonable chance at
beating RC5-64....   I don't relish the thought of running this client for
84 years....