[rc5] The prize money....

Jeff Woods jeff at delta.com
Thu Oct 23 14:42:52 EDT 1997

At 11:00 AM 10/23/97 -0400, you wrote:

>But anyways, Yes, at least speaking for myself, and as a Business Admin
>major, more money would entice more people in, however, the chances of
>winning even that money is now a far cry from the lottery.  56 was 72
>quadrillion, 64 is 256 times that.  Hell, the lottery (depending on what
>state you're in) is usually 49! or somewhere near 14million to 1.

Remember, that's 14M:1 PER TICKET.  The odds of cracking the encryption
were NOT 72 quadrillion to one unless a user tested only ONE key (not
block, but individual KEY).   For example, I had examined 0.0031% of the
keyspace, so to find MY odds, I'd take .000031 times 72 quadrillion, to get
truer odds of 2,232,000,000,000 to 1.   Still long, mind you... ;-)