[rc5] v3

Sebastian Kuzminsky kuzminsk at taussky.cs.colorado.edu
Thu Oct 23 14:54:17 EDT 1997

"Adam L. Beberg" <beberg at distributed.net> wrote:
] First let me say that v3 will be a big step away from the way
] distributed.net has operated in the past. From the start I'm designing v3
] as an open protocol. This means that client development, and the writing
] of cores, will be open to anyone with the required skill and motivation.
] v3 is a full protocol specification for distributed computing, not just a
] new client. You will also eventually be able to run your own server/proxy
] for academic projects, so no more waiting 3 weeks for your thesis project
] to process :)

   This may be the most exciting and inspiring thing i have ever read on
this mailing list.

   Finding a 56-bit RC5 key is a neat stunt, a huge computational task,
and makes an important point to the US government (who may or may not be
paying attention, and who may or may not understand it if they are).
However, the development of an open, widely deployed distributed
processing system is an event of an entirely different order.  If done
right this could radically add to the set of problems that ordinary
people can do.

   There are some huge fundamental problems to be overcome before
distributed processing on the scale envisioned by the distributed.net
organization becomes practical.  I look forward to the discussion to
hash it all out.

Sebastian Kuzminsky
kuzminsk at cs.colorado.edu