[rc5] v3

Jeff Woods jeff at delta.com
Thu Oct 23 18:53:27 EDT 1997

At 01:54 PM 10/23/97 -0600, you wrote:

>   Finding a 56-bit RC5 key is a neat stunt, a huge computational task,
>and makes an important point to the US government (who may or may not be
>paying attention, and who may or may not understand it if they are).

One thing that scares me is GOVERNMENT THINKING.   They might just take
this 100% the wrong way, by saying:

"See, we TOLD you this stuff was too risky to export!   It can be broken by
Pentiums in mere months!   We'll just have to do a 128-bit scheme with key
banking, ala Clipper.   Then you can have better encryption, and we can
still snoop!"

Government sucks.

>   There are some huge fundamental problems to be overcome before
>distributed processing on the scale envisioned by the distributed.net
>organization becomes practical.  I look forward to the discussion to
>hash it all out.

The distributed chess computer idea really piques my interest.   If Deep
Blue won't play Kasparov, then let's get a championship match up against
distributed.net..... 200 million moves a second:  BAH!    Watch 10,000
Pentiums analyze EVERY possible move.