[rc5] Question for beginner

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Thu Oct 23 22:12:52 EDT 1997

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Harris Kosmidhs wrote:
> Ok, here is my question. What is changing from moving from the 56 bit
> key to the
> 64?
> I know the keyspace expands a lot -how much, really?
56-64=it is 8 times, or 2^8 keys larger.

> But then the algorithm remains the same isn't it?
> Why we need new clients?
It does, but the tightly coded assembler has the keysize hardcoded in.

> Thanks a lot, Harris
(BTW - watch your tenses and verbs.)

	-=- James Mastros
---
		   Current Bovine Rate: ~5894.11 mkeys/sec
	       If Keys were dollars, we could pay off the U.S.
		       National Debt in 14.70 minutes.
     -=- http://rc5stats.distributed.net/statbar.html (Tue Oct 21 1997)