[rc5] randomprefix=100

Tim Charron tcharron at interlog.com
Thu Oct 23 22:50:09 EDT 1997

> The last line of my rc564.ini (from rc56401-linux-mt-x86-cli.tar.gz) (BTW -
> what is the diffenence in the linux clients?  Cli is, I assume, after the
> asm instruction.  What is mt?) is "randomprefix=100".  Why?

mt stands for multithreaded.  Older versions of linux will not
run the multithreaded client.  This is the only time the
non-multithreaded client is needed.  Even with 1 cpu, there's benefit
to having a multithreaded client, to avoid dead time during
network & disk access.

The randomprefix=100 represents the high order byte that will be used
for any randomly generated blocks (note that 100 in HEX is 64).  We
wanted to try and avoid having random blocks spread out all across a
huge keyspace.  The 100 is automatically updated to be synchronized
with the high byte on the last key from the keyserver.  There's no
reason to manually change this (nor should you).

-- Tim

Tim Charron
tcharron at interlog.com
tcharron at ctfinance.com