[rc5] The prize money....

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Fri Oct 24 03:13:47 EDT 1997

>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:50:09 -0400
>From: jeff at delta.com (Jeff Woods)
>Subject: [rc5] The prize money....

[snip]
>Clearly, we need to do both:   Use advanced technology (recruit more
>P-II's, etc),

I take it that this is a joke?

[snip]

>Sure, many of us are participating in order to tell the government that
>their encryption laws suck.   Others are participating to demonstrate the
>superiority of certain hardware.   I think that a solid majority, though,
>are in it for the money,

Not one of these applies to me.

[snip]

>Adam et al, please consider raising the amount of the prize money given to
>key finders in future challenges, including RC5-64.

A few points:

I didn't start running the RC5-56 client with any thought of the money at
all.  To my mind, the odds on winning are so slight that I might as well
bet on the dogs.

One of the reasons I ran the Bovine client until the end was that Bovine
promised US$8000 to the Gutenberg project - the promise of giving a large
chunk of money to a worthwhile charity was a *very* strong motiviator in my
case.

And why try and communicate with the Bovine inner circle using this mailing
list?  They've said that they don't read it and you need to use IRC to
communicate with them.

Rowland.