[rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #167

Oscar Chang oscarc at divideby0.com
Fri Oct 24 01:09:40 EDT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:36:16 -0400, rc5-digest wrote:

>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 97 23:47:13 +1300
>From: "dan carter" <daniel.carter at stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
>Subject: [rc5] Problem with RC5 and Lotus WordPro

>As you can see one of the processes is running at 100 priority (idle
>priority, same as the rc5 client runs at). Presumably this is stalling
>the shut down. But my question is, if it's at the same priority as rc5,
>shouldn't it be sharing half the cpu with rc5. What seems to be
>happening is that rc5 is getting 100% of the cpu, and wordpro none.

  That's a rather odd thing to do, put all the shutdown code in the idle
priority. Hmm does word pro still have a window open while it's shutting
down? If it does what you can do is leave the window highlighted. OS/2
will give a performance boost to any highlighted program. If it doesn't..
well the only thing I can think of is to shut down the rc5 client for a
bit while wordpro closes.

>Can anybody see a solution to my problem, or know a os/2 command or
>utility that i can use to bump up the priority of that wordpro thread?

  Well if your running nice 1, then it's taking up slightly more CPU then
just regular idle and will stall all other programs that run at a lower
idle then nice 1. You can try running nice 0.
  As I say again, it's a really silly way to code a shutdown. :)

---
oscarc at divideby0.com
You won't be undefined when you Divide By Zero.
http://www.divideby0.com