[rc5] The prize money....EOT.

Jeff Woods jeff at delta.com
Fri Oct 24 10:05:40 EDT 1997

At 02:13 AM 10/24/97 +0100, you wrote:

>I didn't start running the RC5-56 client with any thought of the money at
>all.  To my mind, the odds on winning are so slight that I might as well
>bet on the dogs.

Your odds would be FAR better betting on the dogs.   (But the inDUHviduals
don't know that the true odds of them finding the key were worse than the
average Lotto).

>One of the reasons I ran the Bovine client until the end was that Bovine
>promised US$8000 to the Gutenberg project - the promise of giving a large
>chunk of money to a worthwhile charity was a *very* strong motiviator in my
>case.

Again, we'll all have different reasons.   My reason wasn't the money, nor
the charity, but for the "in-your-face" to the government.

>And why try and communicate with the Bovine inner circle using this mailing
>list?  They've said that they don't read it and you need to use IRC to
>communicate with them.

Did that, too.   Wanted to foment discussion.   Obviously, though, the vast
majority HERE want the money to stay with a charity.   Fine -- my
discussion goal was accomplished.   The masses have spoken, and I'm sure
they'll leave the charity in place.