[rc5] Some thoughts on finding the key

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Fri Oct 24 10:16:28 EDT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, James Mastros wrote:

> Bad RSA, BAD!  BTW - Dosn't the client notify the user when it finds the
> key?  I would certainly want it to.  (I'm burning my CPU for bovine, I want
> to be the very first to know when MY machine is going to get $1k mailed to it.

Actually - think about what that means.  I am running offline.  I get a
message that I may have solved RC5 - and that the solution is now in
buff-out waiting for me to be online.  Chances are that I won't be online
anymore - I'll be deciphering how buff-out works so that I can submit the
correct key myself and take the full 10K - I'll have plenty of time since
nobody else will get that key until the effort has exhausted all non-tardy
keys...