[rc5] The prize money....

Fri Oct 24 11:13:05 EDT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 13:18:34 -0400, Jeff Woods wrote:

>Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of that fact, too.   My point is that I
>believe that in order to draw in the numbers needed to have a realistic
>shot at RC5-64, we might have to consider that idea.

And what I am saying is that it is the donation that got me.  Offering
me a chance at $1,000 or $5,000 made little difference.  Offering me
the near certainty of $8,000 for Project Gutenburg did make a
difference.  I think that is going to be true of more people than vice
versa.  If the prize was truly significant (much higher than my salary,
for example) I might show more interest, but as the amount is
comparativly small, and the odds of winning it low, this has little
influence on my decision.

Charity that costs me nothing, not even time or energy, that is
something that attracts me.

BTW, we are both right, what is important is which of us is more right.

Skip Huffman
Carreker-Antinori
Atlanta Office
Quality Group
"A penny saved may be a penny earned, but it's a waste of
 a deposit slip and it really pisses off the tellers."