[rc5] The prize money....EOT

Thompson, Christopher CThompson at suncor.com
Fri Oct 24 11:15:24 EDT 1997

>Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:37:50 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Stuart Anthony <denitto at llamas.net>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] The prize money....EOT.
>
>On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Jeff Woods wrote:
>
>So even with 42.3 trillion tickets, our odds were 1:1703 that we'd win.
>Not bad for 109th place.  But then you have to look at the expected
>return.  I can only estimate how many $ of machinery went into this, but I
>will put this in terms of K5-166's, the $/key winner... I can find a
>barebone K5-166 machine in Computer shopper for $599... so somewhere near
>$800 "nicely equipped".  Running linux, I should be able to get
>~398Kkeys/sec...  42.3 trillion keys would take 5 of those the 250 days we
>spent cracking.  So thats a $1000 prize with 1:1703 odds costing $4000 as
>an "Entry Fee".  Which means that I could estimate a -$4 return on my
>investment.

I only had three machines running the client, my odds worked out to
around eight thousand to one against.  But you know what my total
investment in this effort was?  $0.  I spent nothing on hardware,
nothing on software, and the computers would have been switched on
anyway so nothing on power.

I have to say that this is a pretty damn good investment on my money.

That was the whole point of distributed.net's effort.