[rc5] Some thoughts on finding the key

Rob Winters rob at annapurna.com
Fri Oct 24 13:50:19 EDT 1997

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Richard Freeman wrote:
> Actually - think about what that means.  I am running offline.  I get a
> message that I may have solved RC5 - and that the solution is now in
> buff-out waiting for me to be online.  Chances are that I won't be online
> anymore - I'll be deciphering how buff-out works so that I can submit the
> correct key myself and take the full 10K - I'll have plenty of time since
> nobody else will get that key until the effort has exhausted all non-tardy
> keys...

So, we should trust distributed.net enough to run their object code and do
whatever calculations their server tells us to do, but they can't trust
us to report a correct solution? Either we're cooperating or we're not.
Either we're doing it for the money or we're not.

I think the odds that someone will be cheated are exceedingly slim. Even
if they were, I think that the cheater would be unable to "show their
work" (Who could, really?), and distributed.net would likely be able to
show the scum's participation in its effort.

Is it *really* in the fine print that the solver has to wait for an RSA
press release? How could RSA refuse to award the money regardless of who
makes the announcement, especially with 80% going to charity? Imagine the
PR from a move like that? News is news, and it happens when it happens.
Tell RSA to write the damned RC5-64 press release now!  :-)

 /// Rob