[rc5] The prize money....

Seth Dillingham seth at snet.net
Fri Oct 24 14:14:32 EDT 1997

Skip Huffman (SHuffman at Atl.Carreker.Com), on 10/24/1997 10:13 AM, wrote
the following:

>And what I am saying is that it is the donation that got me.  Offering
>me a chance at $1,000 or $5,000 made little difference.  Offering me
>the near certainty of $8,000 for Project Gutenburg did make a
>difference.  I think that is going to be true of more people than vice
>versa.  If the prize was truly significant (much higher than my salary,
>for example) I might show more interest, but as the amount is
>comparativly small, and the odds of winning it low, this has little
>influence on my decision.
>
>Charity that costs me nothing, not even time or energy, that is
>something that attracts me.

Are you saying that this 'charity' cost you no time or energy? You've
been a contributor to this mailing list, you've spent time installing and
updating the client on your system...

In reality, for ME, if the charity for project Gutenberg were all it was,
I'd just donate two dollars to them and find something that demands LESS
time! Even if you leave out the ridiculous amount I've spent trying to
get the distributed-mac website 'ship-shape', I've spent hours putting
the client on my computers, and updating to revised clients, and
troubleshooting problems.

If it's just about the charity, send them $2. If everybody in the group
did that, they'd get MORE than the $8000 Bovine sent them!

Seth :)

              seth at snet.net
http://macrobyte.simplenet.com/sethspeak/
     http://www.distributed-mac.net/