[rc5] Let's factor RSA-155!

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Fri Oct 24 15:19:53 EDT 1997

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Alex Bischoff wrote:

> 	Could someone enlighten me -- what's a MIPS year? I mean, how does that
> compare to "real" time?

The number of instructions executed by a computer running at 1 milllion
instructions per second in one year.  A computer running at at 200Mhz is
running on the order of 200+MIPS these days...  So 16,000 MIPS years is
about:

16000/200 years on a decent computer - or 80 years.  A supercomputer of
course would take the appropriate fraction of time...