[rc5] The prize money....EOT.

Jeff Woods jeff at delta.com
Fri Oct 24 15:18:25 EDT 1997

At 11:37 AM 10/24/97 -0400, you wrote:

>> Your odds would be FAR better betting on the dogs.   (But the inDUHviduals
>> don't know that the true odds of them finding the key were worse than the
>> average Lotto).

>So even with 42.3 trillion tickets, our odds were 1:1703 that we'd win.

I was basing it on MY complete space.   My odds would have been 17 billion
to one.   I was in 1900th place when the key was found (steadily moving up,
at 2Mkeys/sec -- I'd moved from one CPU to 15 in the past week).  Most
single CPU'ers at home with a single Pentium-133 (that's the average home
system out there now) won't beat Lotto odds.

>~398Kkeys/sec...  42.3 trillion keys would take 5 of those the 250 days we
>spent cracking.  So thats a $1000 prize with 1:1703 odds costing $4000 as
>an "Entry Fee".  Which means that I could estimate a -$4 return on my
>investment.

You sound like the folks on rec.gambling.poker.... ;-)   And that's a
compliment.