[rc5] Some thoughts on finding the key

Chris Arguin Chris.Arguin at unh.edu
Fri Oct 24 15:44:52 EDT 1997

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Rob Winters wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Chris Arguin wrote:
> > Come now. They have to verify the validity, obviously. That doesn't take
> > to long, but they certainly aren't going to say, "We will award the money
> > to whoever announces that they broke it first." And it doesn't matter
> > where the money is going to, it still will take some time.
>
> If I remember the timeline, RSA verified the solution over the phone in
> moments. This only makes sense; why would it take a long time to verify?

It's not just verification. RSA is a company. It takes time for things to
proprogate. As an example timeline:

1) Somebody recives a call that says, "We broke it". He verifies it,
	and calls his boss, and eventually the president is notified.

2) The next day they hold a daily meeting, in which this is discussed.
	They decide to get the PR department started on the press release,
	as well as contacting their lawyers to make sure all legal aspects
	are covered.

3) The day after, the PR department is done writing up their press release
	and having it reviewed. Once the lawyers get back to them, THEN
	the announcement can take place.

Of course, I am making all this up. But this is how many companies work.

--
Chris Arguin                 | "...All we had were Zeros and Ones -- And
cpa at hopper.unh.edu           |  sometimes we didn't even have Ones."