[rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #166

Joseph Fisk joe at rm405n-a.roberts.fit.edu
Sun Oct 26 01:49:36 EST 1997

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Phil Reed wrote:

> But, for most of us, IRC *sucks*. It's not a supported protocol in
> most mainstream corporations. While IRC might be very popular
> in educational circles, that's only a small fraction of the available
> computers. You'll need to change in order to get more sympathetic
> contributers, such as myself, in major corporations.

You'd be suprised how much computing power is idle at a typical
university.  Think about it.  The school receives millions in tuition,
millions in grants and sponsorships, etc.  The school is expected to
procure and provide for students' use state-of-the-art equipment, etc.
Not only does the school itself possess many CPUs, but most students have
their own PC.  Most faculty members also have their own PC.

So it goes to reason that there would be more computing power available
per capita at a university than at a business.

> And, just as a further note, I found an IRC client and tried more than
> once to find a developer or somebody on IRC, and was unable to do
> so.

You need to join the EFNet RC5 channel.  Connect your client to an EFNet
server such as irc-e.primenet.com (or irc-w.primenet.com if you are in the
western US) and then /join #rc5.  There is usually more than one
"important" person there.  =)

> Face it: IRC has all the disadvantages of a phone call. That's why
> email is so popular - both sides of a communication do NOT have to
> be available at the same time.

Unless you expect a response at 3AM, you should have no trouble finding
someone to talk to.  Even at 3AM it's not that hard =)

Joseph
mdmbkr at chillin.org