[rc5] Best setup for infrequent dial-up connection

Tim Charron tcharron at interlog.com
Sun Oct 26 01:46:10 EDT 1997

> There's been some mention of -frequent and -runoffline command-line
> switches, some combination of which may accomplish what I'm trying to do,
> but they don't appear to be documented anywhere. Can someone shed some

This is pretty weak in terms of documentation, but until a client faq
is created...

'rc564 help' will give a quick list of command line options. Most
of the options correspond to those configurable via 'rc564 -config'.
Other options of interest are:
-runoffline: Never try to access the network for fetches/flushes
             when buffers are empty, generate random ones.
             (useful for non-connected clients, or when sharing buffers)
-runbuffers: Like -runoffline, but when the current input buffer
             is empty, quit.
-frequent:   This will make the client perform an update every couple
             of minutes.  If dial-on-demand is not installed, then
             this is the best way to automatically take advantage of
             an occassional network connection.
-nodisk:     No buffer files are saved on disk.  Everything is held
             in memory.  This will allow hard disks to go into power
             save modes.
-nofallback: Usually, after failed server connection attempts, an
             attempt to rc5proxy.distributed.net will be made.  This
             will disable this behaviour.
-forceunlock:It is possible for a buffer to become locked permanently
             if the client should crash while the buffer is locked.
             This option will force the buffer to be unlocked.

-- Tim