[rc5] Some thoughts on finding the key

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Sun Oct 26 19:43:07 EST 1997

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Joseph Fisk wrote:

> > >I notice that there is a full day's delay here.  Why not have it mail you a
> > >message "We Got Da Key!" when a possible success is logged?
>
> Was more than one possible solution reported?
>
> What would be a case where a key could "possibly" be the right one, but
> wasn't?
More then one possible solution was reported (I recall somebody mentioned
that), and I think it's theoreticly possible that there is more then one key
that would decrypt the first four (and eight) characters correctly.
However, for these handfull of keys (there certiantly shouldn't have been
more then a few), we can afford to raise false hopes for a bit or two.
Anyway, the master keyserver could check the possibles itself, and only send
out different mail (and log it to different files) depending on if it
compares out the whole "The unknown message is: " string.

	-=- James Mastros

> Joseph
> mdmbkr at chillin.org

---
		   Current Bovine Rate: ~5894.11 mkeys/sec
	       If Keys were dollars, we could pay off the U.S.
		       National Debt in 14.70 minutes.
     -=- http://rc5stats.distributed.net/statbar.html (Tue Oct 21 1997)