[rc5] Best setup for infrequent dial-up connection

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Sun Oct 26 19:51:59 EST 1997

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Joseph Fisk wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Leaf Eater wrote:
> > At 08:48 PM 10/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
> > >I'd like to make some completely maintenance-free RC5 installations on
> > [cut]
> > >I'd like to package the whole thing up in an installer, which someone
> > >could run once, and have a completely configured hidden client suitable
> > >for an infrequent dial-up connection which they'd never have to think
> > >about again.
> >
> > how 'bout a distributed computing virus? =)
>
> Totally evil thing to do but it's a really really cool idea.  And most
> people wouldn't ever figure out that they were even infected since it's
> not malignant.  And the keyrate would soar..

Somthing along these lines that I don't think would be all that bad a thing:
Make that java version of the client.  Have it display a message ("RC5: You
are cracking it right now: ##### thousand keys, and counting").  Yes, it
will be slow as honey at 20 below.  But it will pique peoples interest.  On
click, have it go to a page with simple directions for the correct platform
(Guess bassed on the browser.  I don't think any current browser dissalows
testing what JVM its running under.  In any case, if you can't tell, give a
menu.)  (BTW - have it crunch random keys, so we don't get sombody who is
only there for 5 seconds checking out whole blocks.).

	-=- James Mastros

---
		   Current Bovine Rate: ~5894.11 mkeys/sec
	       If Keys were dollars, we could pay off the U.S.
		       National Debt in 14.70 minutes.
     -=- http://rc5stats.distributed.net/statbar.html (Tue Oct 21 1997)