[rc5] Best setup for infrequent dial-up connection

Chris Arguin Chris.Arguin at unh.edu
Sun Oct 26 20:21:51 EST 1997

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, James Mastros wrote:

> Somthing along these lines that I don't think would be all that bad a thing:
> Make that java version of the client.  Have it display a message ("RC5: You
> are cracking it right now: ##### thousand keys, and counting").  Yes, it
> will be slow as honey at 20 below.  But it will pique peoples interest.  On
> click, have it go to a page with simple directions for the correct platform
> (Guess bassed on the browser.  I don't think any current browser dissalows
> testing what JVM its running under.  In any case, if you can't tell, give a
> menu.)  (BTW - have it crunch random keys, so we don't get sombody who is
> only there for 5 seconds checking out whole blocks.).

This is an interesting concept. I'd reserve a block at a time for all of
the clients, and give keys from those blocks. Have the program, at
request, figure out which client is best for their platform (mainly a
matter of which OS), and bring them right to the appropriate page. Maybe
we could even change the banners around so that if the browser is java
complient, the banner is actually the client :) With all the web pages
(including mine) that link to the banner...

To make it accessible to as many people as possible, installation should
be simple and automatic, and running should be invisible. I think that for
these properties, we should concentrate on MacOS, Win95, and possibly
Win3.1. Anybody using Unix or NT should be able to figure it out. The
installation procedure can figure out if they are running through a
firewall via the browser (I think), and maybe you ask the user how often
they log onto the internet to figure out how to best configure updates.

I bring this up because many people may be scared away by the complexity
of installation. How many people look at the 3 (4?) Windows clients and
leave because they can't figure out which one they need? You know and I
know that its mostly a matter of personal preference, but it is confusing
to many people.

--
Chris Arguin                 | "...All we had were Zeros and Ones -- And
cpa at hopper.unh.edu           |  sometimes we didn't even have Ones."