[rc5] Best setup for infrequent dial-up connection

Ranjit Annamalai rxa21 at po.cwru.edu
Sun Oct 26 20:45:53 EST 1997

Chris Arguin wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, James Mastros wrote:
>
> To make it accessible to as many people as possible, installation should
> be simple and automatic, and running should be invisible. I think that for
> these properties, we should concentrate on MacOS, Win95, and possibly
> Win3.1. Anybody using Unix or NT should be able to figure it out. The

I know that when I got the drivers for my souncard they had one exe that
when you ran figured out your OS and installed the drivers,
(Win3.1/95/NT), I think this could be done for the windows people and
then it would be quite a bit simpler, I think to make things less
confusing only the Mac and the Win client should be on a page with a
link to all the other OS's on a seperate page.  I think people can
figure out if they are running Windows/Mac (I hope).  This way you
wouldn't really need Java right?

> I bring this up because many people may be scared away by the complexity
> of installation. How many people look at the 3 (4?) Windows clients and
> leave because they can't figure out which one they need? You know and I
> know that its mostly a matter of personal preference, but it is confusing
> to many people.

I agree I still don't understand the SMTP settings in the INI file which
have no counterpart in the GUI.

--
R   a    n   j    i    t       A    n    n    a    m    a    l    a    i
Page me at 1-888-pagoo-44 id:4088935       http://www.netwalk.com/~meena